Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

9.13.2011

Square Block Pumpkin {Tutorial}

I mentioned in the Fall Subway Art post, that I thought it would be fun to display the prints in a new way and decided to just tape the print to a wood pumpkin.  I didn't take pictures of the steps this time, but I think it's pretty easy to see how it's done if you decide to make one.  




Supplies
Square block of wood
(This block is from a 2 x 6 which really measures @5 1/2" square.)
Paint and Foam Brush
Scrapbook Paper
Ribbon
Sand paper
Distress Ink or Dark Stain
Mod Podge and a Foam Brush to apply
Small piece from a branch
Reindeer Moss (or whatever you have on hand)
Leaves to embellish (wood, fabric, or artificial)
Craft Wire
4" x 5" Photo (optional)


When I was at JoAnn Fabrics the other day I saw this bunch of painted wood leaves.  They were priced at $7.99 and then were 40% off.  I already had a purpose for the larger leaves and thought the smaller ones would look great on a little wood pumpkin. 


Directions

  1. Sand the edges of the block (an electric sander gets the job done quickly)
  2. Wipe off any sawdust with a damp rag or paper towel.
  3. Paint.  (I bought one of Lowes sample paints in black to try and was impressed with how much nicer the paint looked when applied than acrylic craft paint.)
  4. Allow paint to fully dry. 
  5. Sand all of the edges and corners to distress.
  6. Wipe over the edges with an ink pad (dark walnut works well) or with some dark stain on a rag.
  7. Cut out a piece of scrapbook paper about 3/8-1/2 inch smaller than the wood block.  Run an ink pad over the edges to give it a distressed look.  (I used scrapbook paper from a book by My Minds Eye, that was discontinued, but I just saw some really cute Fall prints at the craft store.  I'm sure you'll find something that you'll like, most likely even cuter than the paper I used.)
  8. Apply Mod Podge to the front of the wood block and press your scrapbook paper down over it.  Allow to dry.
  9. Mod Podge over the scrapbook paper running your brush in the same direction.  Then with a dry brush, run it in the opposite direction to give it a mat look.
  10. For the stem, cut off a small section from a branch (large pruning shears will work or a small hand saw) and hot glue it to the top center of the block.
  11. Use wire to attach the leaves.  Curl the ends around a pencil.
  12. Hot glue moss around the stem.
  13. Cut a length of ribbon long enough to go around the block and hot glue or tape it together in the back.  (I bought this ribbon at JoAnn's in the Fall section.)
  14. Tape or use sticky tack to add a photo, quote, etc.


When I was done, my daughter said, "Mom, you know that pumpkins aren't black don't you?"  Yes, it's true, generally pumpkins aren't black, but I painted the block thinking I'd make something else with it and then was too lazy to repaint it orange when I decided to make a pumpkin with it instead.  I'm okay with a black pumpkin, I'm really not too picky, at least when it comes to pumpkins.  ;)

 For more ideas, here are links to the [orange] 2x4 pumpkins that I made last year.




Today's Fabulous Find...Wood Pumpkins





Linking up to these fun parties...


Pin It!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

VERY cute. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!! :)

farmhouse-story said...

such a cute project, janet--thanks for the tut! your 2x4 pumpkins are so cute, i think i'll try them, too:)

Rachel said...

Way cute - I'm totally gonna make it!

Cara@HomespunKitchen said...

Love this, great job!

Lindsay said...

SO inspiring! I must make something similar to add to my holiday decor! You always have such great ideas here! I would love for you to share this @ Show & Share!

http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/09/show-share-7.html

The Tablescaper said...

Great ideas. It would be great to have you link this post to my weekly meme Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails