Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

7.28.2011

Hanging Heavy Windows, Doors, and Frames

When I was ready to hang my door on the wall, I realized that it wouldn't work to hang it with a picture wire because the wire would be seen through the glass.  The door only measures 18" x 36" but is still plenty heavy, so hanging it from a couple of nails in the wall was just not going to cut it this time.  Also, with young children in my home I wanted to be sure it would stay put once it was hung, I don't want it falling on anyone.

I bought these large flush mount hangers at Lowe's to try, it cost around $4 for two sets.

(I remembered to take a picture after the fact, there are 2 sets in a package.)

My stud finder didn't show any 2x4 studs in the wall where I needed to position the hangers, so after using a level to mark the positions, I went ahead and installed the hangers onto the sheetrock.   *It's always best to find a 2x4 stud to install them onto or use drywall anchors

Important note:  The screws that come in the package are too short to use on the wall side.   You will need to replace them with screws long enough to go through the thickness of the sheetrock and well into the 2 x 4 stud.  (I used black drywall screws.)

Also, it's okay to start the screws into the wall with a power drill, but I recommend finishing them by hand using a screwdriver.  If they are installed too tight it will strip the threads just made in the wall and the screws won't be secure.  (If the screw turns freely in the wall, you'll know that you went too far and will need to use a drywall anchor.)

In this situation, with 8 drywall screws holding the weight of this particular door, it's secure.  I'll keep an eye on it to see if it becomes loose and will add drywall anchors later if needed.


Line up the two hangers and slide the door/window down into place so they interlock.


You can see in this picture how close the door is to the wall.


Another plus with using the flush mount hangers is that the door/window/frame can't be pushed from side to side.  Once it's hung you never have to straighten it again.  Less work, less worry!

If you have a great technique for hanging heavy windows, doors, or frames, please share it with us in a comment.  I'd love to hear what works for you!

Today's Fabulous Find...Large Flush Mount Hangers

Pin It!

14 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a fabulous idea. I didn't know about such hangers. This works perfectly. Love it. Hugs, Marty

Toqua's Crafts said...

I *LOVE* the door!
Great job hanging it. I'm not sure I would have thought of your method... but you did good!

farmhouse-story said...

these are new to me and would definately come in handy--tfs:)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful door and great hanger find!

I don't know what kind of drywall you have there, but this would not have worked at all at my home that has "new drywall". This stuff is incredibly poor quality and the weight of a door would pull drywall screws right out.

Janet said...

To Anonymous: Thankyou!

My drywall isn't new and the door isn't that big, so I'm sure that's why it worked for me. Thanks for the tip on the new drywall, I'd feel bad if anyone tried this and tore holes in their wall. It's definately always best to find a stud in the wall or use drywall anchors.

Val said...

Thanks for the tip. I have a door to hang and have been putting it off because I didn't know what could hold it securely...I'm going to get these.
Thanks

Terry said...

Wow, that’s a really neat thing to do with an old door or window frame! It’s great that you could recycle these things AND make them stylish at the same time, haha! Those hangers will have to be really sturdy though, so that they don’t fall out. Adding two hooks at the bottom for the door or window to slot into would also be a really good way of preventing the thing from falling off the wall.

- Terry Arnold

Janet said...

Thanks Terry! :) The door has been hanging there for nearly two years now, it's hard to believe it's been that long, and the hooks are still holding strong. Thanks for your comment and suggestion!

Michelle said...

This is awesome! Thanks for posting. I am making a message board out of an old window and didn't realize how heavy it was until I started to really get down to business working on it.

Janet said...

You're welcome, I'm glad it helped. :) Making a message board with a window sounds fun!

Unknown said...

I have a very heavy french door that I am trying to hang horizontal on my dinning room wall. I bought some hardware to hang it, but it isn't very much of a flush mount. A google search lead me to your site. I think I will take back my first idea and go with yours!
Thanks for sharing.

Janet said...

I hope it works for you, good luck!

Stephanie said...

Google led me to you, lol! I have 2 fabulous windows taken from a 1910 home, large frames, original ropes, weights & all. I'll be looking for these to see if they'll work with my treasures.

Stephanie said...

Google led me to you, lol! I have 2 fabulous windows taken from a 1910 home, large frames, original ropes, weights & all. I'll be looking for these to see if they'll work with my treasures.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails